Tuesday 24 November 2009

Match Preview - Yeovil Town vs. Gillingham Town (A)

Firstly, thank you to Taff for linking to my blog from ciderspace, it's nice to get a bit of publicity (albeit still no comments on any posts - any feedback on the quality of posts, opinions or whatnot is always welcome) and faced with the prospect of people actually reading this, it gives one the motivation to carry on posting as frequently as I have been.



So I miss my first League One match in nearly two months this evening (even though I did think about going - it's just the thought of the next three Mondays off work was a more appealing one than a wet overnighter to Priestfield) as the Glovers take on Gillingham Town (not the one near Sherborne). The Glovers could go 8th tonight with the right results, and whilst I think we'll perhaps not get the 3 points tonight due to Gillingham's exceptional home record (5 wins in 9, only one defeat), we should be going there full of confidence after two exceptional halves, in completely different styles, against Charlton on Saturday.

The Gills will be welcoming Simeon Jackson, their top scorer, back into their lineup tonight after being benched for the defeat against Brizzle Rovers on Saturday, and will think they have a good chance of the three points this evening against our Yeovil who struggle to score away from HP.

I think Skivo will resist the temptation to start Bowditch but will probably keep faith with the lineup that started against Charlton, with Deano again coming on for half an hour at the end, probably to replace the out-of-form Welshy if we're a goal down or Obika if we're a goal up. Forbesy could also be restored to the lineup tonight replacing Stefan Stam who I thought looked a touch off the pace on Saturday. My prediction for tonight, as with Saturday is going to be 1-1, I think Simeon Jackson will open the scoring and we'll hit back in the second half, I'll go for Bowditch to be the scorer in the final ten minutes. As for the lineup, this is how I see it:

McCarthy
Alcock Caulker Forbes Hutchins
Kalala MacDonald
Murray Welsh
Mason
Obika

I'd like to mention Obika's performance on Saturday - it's been talked about on the Green Room at great length, and to some extent I agree with his detractors. He frustrated the hell out me at the match, but on reflection I think the conditions did not favour a lone frontman and he was feeding off of scraps from a midfield that went far too narrow towards the end. My main problem is rather than be selective about the lost causes he chases, he doesn't chase any. I think when you're pegged back in your own area it is vital your frontman works hard, and from my view in the Blackthorn he missed every opportunity to put Ikeme under pressure, lost the ball too often when it was at his feet, and didn't challenge anywhere near effectively enough in the air either. As I've said the conditions weren't in his favour though and to his credit, he took his one real chance clinically. If he hadn't, I'd be wanting to see Bowditch in the lineup tonight. Jon, tonight's as good a chance as any to prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment